The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/
Solid Waste Equipment Service Assistant
($27,331.20 - $36,795.20 Annually)
The current vacancy is for a split assignment working two days per week on Barrel Delivery/Repair assignment and two days per week on Fuel/Lube assignment; however an eligible list will be established to fill possible future vacancies in all assignments.
The current vacancy works the following days and times with a 30 minute lunch:
- Monday 5:30am-4:00pm Barrel Delivery/Repair Assignment
- Tuesday 5:30am-4:00pm Barrel Delivery/Repair Assignment
- Thursday 2:00pm-12:30am on Fuel/Lube Assignment
- Friday 2:00pm-12:30am on Fuel/Lube Assignment
A Solid Waste Equipment Service Assistant may be assigned to one or any combination of the following assignments. This class performs related duties as required.
- Barrel Delivery/Repair Assignment: Performs routine tasks involved in the delivery and repair of the automated barrels in the City. Employees may be assigned to deliver, remove, or replace barrels in the field, and/or repair and wash barrels in the yard. Incumbents in this assignment may be required to work the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) events.
- Collection of Municipal Solid Waste Assignment: Employees may be assigned to operate light refuse equipment to collect municipal solid waste (including bulk items and appliances). As workload permits, employees may be assigned as a laborer on a rear loader for manual collection of bulk items and appliances.
- Fuel/Lube Assignment: Performs routine tasks involved in the fueling and lubricating of assigned solid waste equipment, including heavy duty trash and recycling collection vehicles. Responsible for the safe operation of heavy duty vehicles in a parking lot, driving solid waste vehicles from a parked location to the fuel pump and back to the parked location while being aware of hazards, tight surroundings, inclement weather and in evening/early morning hours. Documents all tasks performed on a tablet installed in the vehicle as well as on a daily worksheet. Required to work independently, on a 2nd and 3rd shift schedule, weekends and some holidays as needed. As workload permits, employees are also responsible for cleaning radiators and washing equipment.
- Operation's Assistance Assignment: Employees may be assigned to assist Solid Waste Equipment Operators in backing situations. In addition, employees may be assigned to perform site checks for bin, barrel, and roll-off container(s) placement.
This class is an entry-level class in the Environmental Management and Sustainability Department.
Supervision may be limited to the start of the shift, or through written reports. Employees are required to use appropriate safety equipment and procedures in performing assignments. A Solid Waste Equipment Service Assistant reports to a Solid Waste Foreman who reviews work through conferences, the observation of work in progress, and a review of the final product. Employees may be assigned a shift which includes nights, weekends, and holidays.
This class is FLSA nonexempt.
All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to one year of full-time employment in servicing motorized equipment, delivering supplies, and/or performing heavy manual labor.
- Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license by hire date.
- Must possess a Class B Arizona Commercial driver's license by hire date.
Substance Abuse Testing: This class is subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) drug and alcohol testing as outlined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 382 (by assignment).
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED.
Applications will be available as of the opening date of 12/8/17. Apply by 12/14/17. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: www.mesaaz.gov/jobs
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About this company
Located in Maricopa County and just 15 miles east of Phoenix, Mesa covers 132 square miles, is the third largest city in Arizona and the 36th largest city in the nation.
The City provides the advantages of a thriving metropolis while maintaining the feel of a suburban environment.
With dynamic recreational, educational and business opportunities, Mesa enjoys the best in a variety of amenities including parks within easy walking distance from home, a variety of sports facilities that cater to athletes young and old, highly rated golf courses for every skill level, a diversity of special events and community festivals, and Mesa's ever-popular Chicago Cubs and Oakland A's Spring Training baseball.