To drive and operate collection vehicles in the safe and proper manner in the collection and disposal of refuse and recyclables on residential and commercial routes and other assigned routes; to provide assistance and perform assignments in all areas of integrated waste collection, processing and disposal.
This is the second level of the Integrated Waste job classification series. Employees in this job class are normally assigned to residential and commercial routes, and may be assigned other duties as necessary. This job class functions at a journey level of classification and receives limited supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures.
Receives limited supervision from the Senior Integrated Waste Worker, Division Manager, or other designated supervisory personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Drives and operates a collection vehicle; picks up refuse and recyclables from residential and commercial routes
• Ensures completion of assigned routes
• Drives to landfill site or processing facility when collection vehicle is loaded and unloads refuse or recyclables
• Operates residential collection vehicles as assigned
• Operates street sweeping vehicle
• Operates front-loading or roll-off trucks as assigned
• Drives frontload vehicles in collection of refuse, cardboard and other recyclables
• Drives container truck in delivery and pick up of containers
• Ensures the collection vehicle is in proper working order; performs checks on tires, gauges, lights, brake pressure, seat belts, and other items according to vehicle check-out procedures
• Washes collection vehicle and cleans cab area
• Maintains records related to assigned activities including number of refuse containers picked up, billing form, vehicle condition information, etc.
• Updates customer records and computerized route information, completes daily reports, and other work records
• Assists in the training of other Solid Waste Division employees in the safe and proper methods of performing Integrated Waste Trainee and Integrated Waste Worker skills
• Performs a broad range of maintenance and repair work on containers, equipment, and vehicles when assigned
• Operates equipment and supervises employees in the materials processing operation
• Operates street sweeping equipment
• Acts in capacity of a relief driver to perform commercial and residential collection duties as assigned
• Performs audit of service routes
• Radios in to supervisor when route is complete to see if other drivers need assistance
• Works on weekends, holidays and overtime as required
• Performs related duties as assigned
• Proper and safe methods for the collection and disposal of refuse and recyclables
• basic recordkeeping
• safe driving skills
• properly and safely operate the full range of collection vehicles in the collection and disposal of refuse and recyclables
• maintain and update records related to collection assignments
• to assist in instructing other Solid Waste Division personnel in proper loading and packing methods
• perform assignments in other areas of solid waste disposal and collection as assigned
• understand and follow oral and written directions in an independent manner
• perform heavy physical labor such as loading materials weighing up to 50 lbs. into containers and/or vehicles; shoveling; pulling and pushing equipment; lifting and transporting large, bulky items
• operate collection-related equipment
• walk for up to eight hours while performing tasks such as bending, lifting and reaching to pick up solid waste and recyclables
• hear and distinguish various sounds, such as voices of co-workers in noisy environments, operating equipment, and traffic
• distinguish colors, such as color-coded medical waste bags
• work under such conditions as confined spaces, high noise levels, strong and unpleasant odors, vibration from equipment, exposure to dust, toxic substances and/or chemical irritants (within legal exposure limits)
• climb up to and in and out of collection vehicles; sit in vehicle
• safely and effectively perform related duties
• learn basic welding techniques
• establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
• speak English/Spanish highly desirable
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. Typical ways to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• Two years experience in refuse and recyclable collection, processing, and disposal operations
• Successful completion of the Integrated Waste Trainee training requirements
• Incumbents will be required to participate in and complete the Senior Integrated Waste Worker training requirements. Once training is completed, incumbent may be required to perform duties of the Senior Integrated Waste Worker on a limited basis.
• A valid Class A or Class B license and a safe driving record.
Applications and DMV print out must be submitted to the Human Resources Department, 275 Main Street, Suite 400, 4th floor, Watsonville, CA 95076. An application may be obtained by calling 831.768.3020 to apply online visit the City’s website at www.cityofwatsonville.org. All candidates will receive written notification after applications have been screened for requirement compliance. Interview and testing dates will be announced at a later date.
APPOINTMENT AND BENEFITS
The position benefits include excellent health, dental and vision benefits, and life insurance. The position benefits also include vacation, sick leave, and holidays. The City offers Public Employees Retirement System benefits. Employees shall pay the full employee share of CalPERS contribution. Depending on the needs of the City, bilingual pay (English/Spanish) may be available upon passing bilingual exam.
The candidate selected will be appointed for a 12-month probationary period. Names of successful candidates who do not receive a job offer will be placed on an employment list which normally remains in effect for one year. The Human Resources Department may abolish an Employment List at any time the needs of the City so require. The position is represented by the Operating Engineers Local #3 bargaining unit.
Prior to appointment to the position of Integrated Waste Worker, a medical examination and Department of Justice LiveScan fingerprinting will be required.
The City of Watsonville encourages workplace diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
The City of Watsonville is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act by including people with disabilities in all of its programs and activities.
NOTE: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND ANY PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN MAY BE MODIFIED OR REVISED WITHOUT NOTICE.